Thursday, August 26, 2010

HoustonVotes rebuttal

I linked to a story regarding the accusations by Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector Leo Vasquez that progressive advocacy group Texans Together had engaged in voter fraud (and the reporting on the same issue by Texas Watchdog and BlogHouston) in yesterday's Noise Machine so it's only fair to note that the group has issued an official response to the charges which I'll reprint in full here:
HOUSTON, TX August 26, 2010 – On Friday, August 27 at 10:30 a.m. at the Historic Magnolia Ballroom located at 715 Franklin (at Milam), Houston Votes will answer and refute the reckless allegations made by Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector and Voter Registrar, Leo Vasquez on Tuesday, August 24. Leo Vasquez made reckless and false allegations against Houston Votes, the organization, in an apparently coordinated, partisan effort to suppress voter registration and to intimidate citizens into not voting. Sadly, this type of shameful tactic has worked all too well in the past. Houston Votes is committed to non-partisan voter registration and helping register the over 600,000 citizens eligible to vote who are not even registered.


Nothing about the charges, just attacks of partisanship against Republicans from a group that claims to be "non-partisan"*. Ah well, when I find a story on the press conference I'll link to it as well. Hopefully they have an answer for the "thousands" (Leo Vasquez's word) of inaccurate voter registrations. That or proof that Vasquez is full of it, either way.



*By non-partisan, we mean funded by Democrats but hoping no one notices. (See: Bill White Texas Tribune for more.)

1 comment:

Ed T. said...

I don't know about "voter fraud", but last month I got a notice from Harris Co. that, since I had moved, I needed to file a change of address (or else re-register in my new county of residence.) They included a change of address/request for a new card form. I called them and asked WTH?, as I hadn't moved and there was no "you guys obviously don't know what you are talking about, since I am still at the same place." They responded something about it being a "routine check", and told me to just fill out a change of address and put in THE SAME ADDRESS.

Interestingly, I live in a predominately D area of the country. Coincidence? Maybe...

Sports Section