Wednesday, December 4, 2019

College Football: If you're rooting for CHAOS in the CFP this year, I have bad news for you.

Every year in the CFP there's a chaos theory. Granted, it's usually far-fetched, and it requires a domino-falling scene like that one in the movie V for Vendetta, but it does exist.  I typically root for it.  For one, I'm not a huge fan of the CFP, which I've mentioned before on several occasions, and two, I really want to see some new teams get in there besides Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and OU.

It's not that I dislike any of those teams (well, OK Ohio State) but I, and a lot of college football fans, are in for some new blood.  Methinks this is why Utah has such a strong following this year.

In 2019 however, I cannot see such a scenario developing.  For the reason why, let's review the CFP top 7 as revealed last night and discuss some scenarios....

1. Ohio State (12-0)
2. LSU (12-0)
3. Clemson (12-0)
4. Georgia (11-1)
5. Utah (11-1)
6. Oklahoma (11-1)
7. Baylor (11-1)

Of the top 7 teams 4 of them play each other.

Big XII Championship: 6 Oklahoma vs. 7 Baylor
SEC Championship: 2 LSU vs. 4 Georgia

So, let's discuss scenarios:

1 Ohio State, 2 LSU & 3. Clemson all lose.

IF that happens, and I don't think it will, then 1 Ohio State and 2 LSU are probably still in the playoff. They have the best Strength of schedule and their losses will be viewed by the committee as "good" because of their opponents, so I'm thinking they are still in.

Clemson is a little trickier.  If they lose on a fluke play I think they still get in. IF Virginia handles them *snicker* then they might be in trouble but I think they still sneak in as the 4 seed.

If all of that happened then I think you might see this:

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. Clemson.

Now, maybe IF Utah skull-drags Oregon across the field in the PAC-12 Championship they MIGHT sneak into the 4 over Clemson, OR, if OU boat-races Baylor etc. I don't see any way the CFP takes Baylor over Clemson, but I guess if Clemson gets hammered and Baylor wallops OU then something like that MIGHT happen.


Scenario 2: Ohio State and LSU BOTH win, Clemson and Georgia BOTH lose badly.

Interesting, but still not chaos. Should that happen you probably get this:

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Utah (should they win, if not winner of  OU Baylor)
4. The one of the two above left over.

Scenario 3: Everyone loses EXCEPT Baylor and Utah.

While it might, in some eyes, lead to some interesting seeding, I think that Something very similar to scenario one happens, but replace Clemson with Utah.

There are other scenarios to be sure, but most of them involve Ohio State and LSU/Georgia, and Clemson IN the playoff regardless. None of that can be described as chaos, and none of it can come close to imagining, say, a 2-loss Wisconsin or Alabama sneaking in ahead of the 1-loss teams.

You CFP is coming from the top 7 this year, we just don't know the final order as of yet.

What we do know is that there are sufficient undefeated and 1-loss teams in the mix to prevent true chaos from happening this year.


Sports Section