Thursday, June 24, 2021

Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Age Better, Live Longer.

As I type this I'm tipping the scale at 278.  Getting real close to the weight where tipping Guam might be an option. I've got Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and a fatty liver.  I drink too much, I eat too many bad foods, I'm on a dozen or so pills and supplements to keep various maladies under control.

In short, I'm a damned mess. Heavier than I've ever been, lacking anything resembling athleticism, and borderline self-aware depressed.

Were this social media the responses would be limited to something along the lines of "well do something about it you fat f*ck."  Either that or something about how the Capitalist system under which America operates has led me to poor choices regarding my health, or the evils of the pharmaceutical industry, whichever.

But this is a long-form blog. Something that I've neglected for way too long. A place where I can type the musings that few read and even fewer give two-shits about.  In short: this is my space.

Which is why I've decided to bring this back. (after not really shutting it down, but just taking an unplanned pause for a bit.)

You see, Mrs. TPM and I have decided to launch ourselves into DDPYoga the Yoga without the mysticism  project by former WWE and WCW wrestler Diamond Dallas Paige.


I've never done Yoga. Never even contemplated it really. Not that I have anything against it, it's just that....well, I don't think I have Chakras. I'm not what you would call an introspective type, and I'm certainly not going to get in tune with my chi, or whatever they call it. My aura is a black hole.

So you're not going to see a lot of navel-gazing on here and very little 'coming to terms' with my childhood, or mistakes I've made in the past, or the fact that I'm lazy (which is why I'm fat FWIW) instead I'm just going to discuss the journey. No teary-eyed videos from me.  

Don't get me wrong, I do cry, but it's usually after one of my dogs has 'hit the target' when they're excited if you get my drift.

So my first reaction after our first day of Yoga?

Shit I'm sore. Last night, after doing 50 minutes of the "12 basic moves" I was sweating like a whore in church, was shaking due to activating muscles that might not have been worked since my 20's, and then I slept like the dead.

And now I'm sore.

But, despite not being emotional, I do believe in accountability. And I believe the best way to be accountable is to be publically accountable so here it goes.

Goals:

Lose 78 lbs in one year.  That would put me at 200lbs. Which would probably mean that my gut is significantly shrank and many of my health issues are significantly diminished. That's 6.5 lbs per month, which is very doable. Hell, I've seen videos where people are losing 10ish lbs per week.

Be able to lift my ankle above my head. Flexibility is key in life, and Yoga really helps with that.  Currently I cannot stand on one leg and lift the other past parallel (without crashing to the ground) so I want to be able to do that.

Be able to touch my toes. Both from the standing, and sitting positions with my legs straight.

Be able to start lifting weights again. Which means to strengthen my core and shoulders to the point that I'm not in constant pain.

Run a 5K. Which means that I have to strengthen my knees and ankles, which are now sadly weak.


Will I succeed at this?  Who knows? I think I will because I've got the best part of me (my wife) working with me on her own goals. And I've got a reason to do it as well, I'm only a little over a year away from 50, and if I keep up the pace I'm on I'm closer to my ultimate time of passing than I have years to live.

Staying alive is a pretty powerful motivator.

No comments:

Sports Section