Tuesday, September 3, 2019

The Week One FIVE recap: Paaaiiin.

That was not the start we were looking for.

But, a start it was, a 1-4 start, which would have been 2-3 had I not gotten cold feet and scratched out Boise State, replacing it with FIU who I honestly thought would be better. Instead, I was on the wrong side of an ass-whuppin.

Still, it's a long season and the game is to have a positive ROI over the year, not just one week.

I started off strong in the Holy War, thought I had it nailed with Oregon, and then well...it just wasn't pretty.

Kudos to UT-Austin for being much better than I thought they would be, at least against La Tech, and to USC for actually looking competent. I seem to do this every year, weigh down my Week 1 FIVE with predictions of bold upsets, putting myself in a hole looking up. But, I've come back before and it only takes one good week to get right back on the beam.

Some interesting football and gaming notes this year:

Circa Sports Book has dedicated themselves to being the first poster on college football lines this year. In fact, they posted the week 2 lines on Sunday morning, and have already seen significant movement.  Between them, South Point and the Superbook it's refreshing to see actual bookmaking still exists in Las Vegas.  Post the lines, take the bets, move the lines accordingly.  Love it and I know where all of my sports wagering dollars are going in the future.

Currently Michigan is sitting as a 23 point favorite over Army.  I have NEVER listed Michigan in my FIVE, nor have I ever placed a live bet on them.  That might change this week and it could be me placing a bet AGAINST my favorite team.  I typically pull the lines for the FIVE on Wednesday, so we'll see how it moves.

I am not yet in football-watching season shape.  Saturday night I petered out just after halftime of the USC/Fresno State game, marking the first Saturday in quite a while that I didn't stay up to watch the last game.

Finally, as a (soon to be former) U-Verse customer, I'm now in a world minus the Pac-12 Network, the ACC Network, and NFL Network.  As a fan of football this is untenable and I'm probably going to be switching over to streaming before the season is out.

Next week is coming soon, good luck handicapping.

Sports Section