Thursday, September 2, 2021

College Football: Let's Kick off the FIVE with this gigantic Week 1.

 It is, finally, College Football Season.  As such I think it's the perfect time to bring back the weekly FIVE.

I had no play on last night's game. My analytics said UAB but the human element recognized the friendship of the coaches and the ties of the head coach for UAB to Jacksonville State so I passed. But I have Five other games that I really like this week so I'm going to share them here.  I will put down the lines that I got as well as the current lines for your convenience. (Current lines pulled from ESPN.com for convenience, your mileage may vary at your chosen book)


So, without further ado......


1. Rutgers (-13.5) vs. Temple (Curr: -14.5) Temple is not your Temple team from the Matt Ruhle era, and Rutgers is much better with the return of Schiano. It's not clear whether this game will be played tonight as planned, or tomorrow and Saturday due to the after effects of Hurrican Ida, I don't think it matters. Not as much of a fan of 14.5 but I think 14 is OK if you can get it,

2. Bowling Green (+35.5) (Curr: -35) I loved the hook here, Tennessee has a new coach and is breaking in a new system. I think they win, but five touchdowns is a LOT of points for a team with a new coach and QB and a host of other new players to be laying.  Even at home.

3. Duke (-6.5) (Curr: -6.5) Yes, Duke is breaking in a new QB, and they have some questions. But Charlotte is not a good team and if Duke cannot beat them by a touchdown they have much bigger issues than a new QB.

4. Western Michigan @ Michigan (U67) (Curr: 67) While I think Michigan beats WMich I do think both offenses are not going to look spectacular. This feels like an extremely high number to me as I see this game being somewhere in the 24-10 range, Michigan still has a good defense, I think that matters.

5. Texas Tech (-1.5) (Curr: -1) Call this a bet against the Houston Cougars more than a bet for Texas Tech. Coach Dana Holgerson has, so far, been far less than Tillman Fertita expected. Given their off-field issues and a bevvy of questions I'm not entirely sure the Cougars keep this all that close.


Honorable mention: (JUST missed the cut) San Jose Spartans (+14) vs. USC. (also current). Every year people fall in love with USC, and under Son of Love Coach they always disappoint. This is a TOUGH San Jose squad who has a game under their belt.  Upset probability here is high.


Good luck to you however you bet.

No comments:

Sports Section