("Pledge to America" Unveiled by Republicans", Bill Montopoli, Jill Jackson. CBS News)
- Stop job-killing tax hikes
- Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income
- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
- Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.
- Repeal and Replace health care
- Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)
- Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward
- Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority
- Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote
- Provide resources to troops
- Fund missile defense
- Enforce sanctions in Iran
What the Republicans are REALLY saying here:
"OK, you got us. What we really want to do is say a lot without saying much at all. Unlike last time (the Contract with America) when you got pissed at us for not doing what we promised to do."
You still don't have your decoder ring why?