Wednesday, October 3, 2012

At one time....

.....I was a political blogger and this was a political blog.  Probably not a very good one mind you, but one that had a small, recurring, readership and that actually won an award. (Best Local Blogger - Houston Press 2009).  Of course, that award was for Lose an Eye, It's a Sport, which I actually shuttered about two days before winning said award. (Oops.)

I say all that to say this:  I won't be watching the debates tonight, and I won't be blogging the Presidential, or any other, election this year.  I just don't have any interest in show business for ugly people any longer.  At least, not in blog form.

If, for some odd reason, you still want to see what I think is important (politically, from the media, etc) you can follow my Diigo Feed or you can keep up with me on Twitter (User Name: Blogawful)  Given the quality of content coming from our politicians lately I think a 140 character cap is just about all they deserve.

Because this blog is now of a more personal bent (with a healthy bit of travel information) I still might opine on transit issues from time to time because I do feel those to be of importance, and interesting, something that's been missing from political races for a while now.

For you Texas political junkies I offer up two sources of good political commentary:

Perry Vs. World

On the South Steps

Both of these bloggers (note: Evan is a personal friend of mine, I do not know the anonymous blogger behind South Steps) offer up better, and more coherent analysis of current events in Texas than do anyone currently writing for Texas lock-step political media.  Unfortunately, they have no equivalent on the left side of the political spectrum or I would offer up a link here as well.  This may change if Texas suddenly develops a Democratic Party not populated by the perpetually angry.  One can only hope.

I think that, when it comes to Houston politics we're all anxiously awaiting the re-boot and re-launch of blogHouston.  I know that the folks in charge over there are starting to stir a little, but the time demands of free blogging sometimes tend to make such ventures more trouble than their worth.

One other blogger to whom I want to give a shout out.

Unca Darrell

If there's any more of a political dinosaur in TX. It's this gentleman.  A Big C conservative Democrat in Texas who's also a former newspaper worker.  Most of his time is spent offering (spot on) criticism of Houston's local fish-wrap, our former newspaper of record who's current claim to fame is running increasing slide shows about nude celebrities.

When I shuttered Lose an Eye I was told by an acquaintance that I could probably forget ever winning another award for my blogging from anyone.  As the years have gone by I've realized something that (I think) has made me a better blogger:  I'm good with that.  Hopefully you'll think I'm better because of that.

1 comment:

  1. I chose a post from your birthday to tell you how much we miss you at milepoint.
    Please come back soon!
    -Bob

    ReplyDelete

Comment Policy:Any comment containing profanity or presonal attacks will be disallowed. Repeated violations will get you marked as SPAM. Real name is preferred, fake names will be carefully considered before being allowed. If your on-line moniker is so widely known as to be a clear identifier, that's OK too. If your comment doesn't appear, give it some time. I do have a day job.

Sports Section