Wednesday, October 3, 2012

At one time....

.....I was a political blogger and this was a political blog.  Probably not a very good one mind you, but one that had a small, recurring, readership and that actually won an award. (Best Local Blogger - Houston Press 2009).  Of course, that award was for Lose an Eye, It's a Sport, which I actually shuttered about two days before winning said award. (Oops.)

I say all that to say this:  I won't be watching the debates tonight, and I won't be blogging the Presidential, or any other, election this year.  I just don't have any interest in show business for ugly people any longer.  At least, not in blog form.

If, for some odd reason, you still want to see what I think is important (politically, from the media, etc) you can follow my Diigo Feed or you can keep up with me on Twitter (User Name: Blogawful)  Given the quality of content coming from our politicians lately I think a 140 character cap is just about all they deserve.

Because this blog is now of a more personal bent (with a healthy bit of travel information) I still might opine on transit issues from time to time because I do feel those to be of importance, and interesting, something that's been missing from political races for a while now.

For you Texas political junkies I offer up two sources of good political commentary:

Perry Vs. World

On the South Steps

Both of these bloggers (note: Evan is a personal friend of mine, I do not know the anonymous blogger behind South Steps) offer up better, and more coherent analysis of current events in Texas than do anyone currently writing for Texas lock-step political media.  Unfortunately, they have no equivalent on the left side of the political spectrum or I would offer up a link here as well.  This may change if Texas suddenly develops a Democratic Party not populated by the perpetually angry.  One can only hope.

I think that, when it comes to Houston politics we're all anxiously awaiting the re-boot and re-launch of blogHouston.  I know that the folks in charge over there are starting to stir a little, but the time demands of free blogging sometimes tend to make such ventures more trouble than their worth.

One other blogger to whom I want to give a shout out.

Unca Darrell

If there's any more of a political dinosaur in TX. It's this gentleman.  A Big C conservative Democrat in Texas who's also a former newspaper worker.  Most of his time is spent offering (spot on) criticism of Houston's local fish-wrap, our former newspaper of record who's current claim to fame is running increasing slide shows about nude celebrities.

When I shuttered Lose an Eye I was told by an acquaintance that I could probably forget ever winning another award for my blogging from anyone.  As the years have gone by I've realized something that (I think) has made me a better blogger:  I'm good with that.  Hopefully you'll think I'm better because of that.

1 comment:

bobsgt said...

I chose a post from your birthday to tell you how much we miss you at milepoint.
Please come back soon!
-Bob

Sports Section