Wednesday, September 27, 2017

College Football: The Week 5 FIVE

Typically, on Mondays or Tuesdays, I like to do a recap of the prior week's FIVE, good bad or ugly. However, this was one of those silly weeks where real life got in the way of blogging, so no recap  post this week but we'll discuss the results here.  (Hey, you get what you pay for)

C'est la vie.

Last week I took a shot at a lot of ML upsets and they didn't pay off.  It's times like these that I remind myself the game is a marathon, not a sprint, and I take solace in my 7-0 record over at BetTheRent.com for their newsletter.

As it lays thought last week's FIVE was a rather uninspiring 1-4, that brings the FIVE season total to a rather unimpressive 4-9-2 for the year.  But, if you add in the BTR newsletter picks that means I'm a much better 11-9-2 for the year.  See, it's all a matter of perspective.

Now, for the usual disclaimer:  Selections are for entertainment purposes only.  The lines presented herein were accurate, and available at the time of publication to the best of my ability to determine. When placing any bet it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to understand that lines move, and what's printed here might not be available when you go to cast your bet. 

Also, if you're taking betting tips from an oil and gas accountant in Houston please, get some help.

OK?  Now, on to the FIVE:

1. Texas (-6.5) @ Iowa State  T: 63.5

The Longhorns are ba....um, well...erm. not BACK per se but not really making much progress from the Charlie Strong era and despite putting up a good front at USC they really haven't done much this year to inspire much faith.  Iowa State dominated a fair Akron team last week and the week prior to that they hung, at home, close with a pretty good Iowa team. So both teams have "good" losses to good teams with many people thinking the UT-Austin win is the best. But the Longhorns have the worst loss as well.  Giving up 51 points to Maryland does not bode well for the Bevos here.  Pick: Iowa State to cover +6.5 (I would avoid this line if it drops to +5 Iowa State)

2. Miami (-6.5) @ Duke  T: 56

In recent years this "rivalry" has heated up a touch because of some questionable officiating and just the general fact that no one really LIKES the Hurricane. Duke is 4-0.  Let me repeat that, Duke is 4-0  and has good wins over North Carolina, Baylor and Northwestern. Miami is 2-0 with a solid win over Toledo, who are projected (by me) to win the MAC. The Hurricane won at home however, and I think the Blue Devils want some payback. Emotion matters in college football.  Pick: Duke to cover +6.5 (Again, avoid if it drops to +5 Duke)

3. Baylor @ Kansas State(-17) T: 51.5

This is a textbook, "good line" IMO for the savvy sports better.  The public, irrationally at times, loves K-State at home thinking (wrongly IMO) that Bill Snyder Family Stadium is an impregnable fortress that cannot be overrun. But the Wildcats were wildly overrated this season (pre-season AP ranking of 19) and have lost to the only decent team they played (Vandy, and we all saw what happened to them last week).  Meanwhile Baylor has, admittedly, struggled out of the gate struggling to shake off "Sexual Assault U" issues and try and rebuild under new HC Matt Ruhle. Against the Sooners however I think the Bears found a quarterback, and I think they keep this one close. I LOVE getting 17.  Pick: Baylor to cover +17. (There's a lot of leeway in this line. I would take it all the way down to +14 which is a place I don't think it's going to get)

4. Clemson (-7) @ Virginia Tech. T: 51.5

I'll make this one simple:  I think Clemson is the best team in the land right now and it's not close. I like the Hokies, and I think this game portends a rematch in the ACC Championship game, but I think Clemson's front seven should have a felony named after them.  Pick: Clemson to cover -7. (I'm pretty comfortable here all the way up to -8.5)

5. Colorado @ UCLA (-7)  T: 68.5

Only the five could take you from the first game of the weekend, straight through to one of the last (Hi, HI!) and of all the picks I'm making this is the one that inspires the least confidence, but it still belongs in the FIVE. Colorado was cruising along against weaker competition before running into the best team in the PAC-12 (IMO) in Washington and getting spanked. UCLA was riding "chosen" Rosen to the promised land until their defense forgot how to stop anyone in an opposing color. That said, I think the Buffs pull a surprise in LA. But not THAT big of one. Pick: Colorado to cover +7 (Again, if it drops below +6 you might want to stay away)




No comments:

Sports Section