Wednesday, November 3, 2010

And no, I didn't vote yesterday...

Taking a peek at Nick Anderson's political cartoon from Monday I laughed because it offers up a rather simplistic view of voting, elections etc. It's easy to say "If you don't vote you can't gripe" etc. but sometimes it's not that black and white.

For example: Me.

I didn't vote yesterday for three reasons:

1. I already voted in the primary

2. I live outside the City limits and could not vote on the propositions

3. I live in the most conservative district in America. CD-7. There was no serious Democratic opposition to any candidate in my area. Once I voted in the primary, my selections had either won or lost.


So I did vote, and when it appeared that all of the races I was concerned with were well in hand (Lite Gov, Attorney General, Ag Commissioner, Land Commissioner etc.) there wasn't any reason to go vote a second time. Dan Patrick, my Texas State Senator, won with 88% of the vote. Eighty-eight percent. I would've skipped that race anyway because I'm unhappy with him, I wouldn't have voted for Culberson and I wouldn't have voted for TX Governor because I don't like either candidate.

In Cy-Fair, the school board fight was insider baseball and I don't have children....

Understand?


Such is the problem with "safe" districts. Once you vote in the primary the election is, for all intents and purposes, over. Had I lived inside the Houston City Limits, where things were much more up in the air, I would have been at the ballot box putting in my 1/2 cent. As it was I stayed home knowing that I had already won or lost the argument in the primary.

In many districts that's the most important election anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really care for the notion of voting as the end-all/be-all of political participation anyway. It strikes me that it's a one-and-done sort of thing that is far less effective than, say, the civic-minded person who keeps up with political news all year, blogs/tweets/facebooks about issues, contacts political leaders, encourages other folks to get involved in politics, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, while voting may not be "the end-all/be-all of political participation", it is, in the final analysis, pretty much the decider-in-chief.

    ~EdT.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Policy:Any comment containing profanity or presonal attacks will be disallowed. Repeated violations will get you marked as SPAM. Real name is preferred, fake names will be carefully considered before being allowed. If your on-line moniker is so widely known as to be a clear identifier, that's OK too. If your comment doesn't appear, give it some time. I do have a day job.

Sports Section