Monday, December 21, 2015

College Football: The Opening weekend bowls were exciting anyway.

But, as has gone the entire season. Not too good for my reputation as a handicapper. (Not that you should give me any reputation anyway, but hey)

One last note: the lines presented here are where they were when I made my picks on the games. I think some of them did move closer to game day.

Gildan New Mexico Bowl (December 19th 1:00 PM CST):

Arizona (-7.5) @ New Mexico [O/U 65] -
I had New Mexico and the under. Arizona covered by a half-point and the game went (way) over. For about 3 quarters it looked as if the Lobos were going to make a game of it. Then they lost it at the end.  In the end: Arizona 45 New Mexico 37. Ah well. (0-2)

Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl (December 19th 2:30 PM CST):

BYU @ Utah (-2.5) [O/U 51.5]
- BYU started the game like they forgot how to play football. And they STILL almost came back and tied it up.  It's hard to feel confident when your upset pick falls behind 35-0 with over 6 minutes left in 1Q.  BYU 28  Utah 35. I did call the over here which took a little sting out of it.  (1-3)

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl (December 19th 4:30 PM CST):

Ohio @ Appalachian State (-7.5) [O/U 55] 
- App State's defense was horrible. Not even close to the team that ranked in the top 10 in total defense, which was a surprise to me. In the end I was saved, again, by the over. Ohio 29  App State 31. (2-4)

AutoNation Cure Bowl (December 19th 6:00 PM CST)

San Jose State (-2) @ Georgia State [O/U 68]
In the end, I called this one right it was one of the few games that played out exactly as I thought it would.  Go me (I guess). San Jose State 27 Georgia State 16. (4-4) [Yay .500!!!!]

R + L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (December 19th 8:00 PM CST)

Arkansas State @ Louisiana Tech (-2) [O/U 68]
  - LaTech was much better running the ball against the Red Wolves than I thought they would be. Kenneth Dixon and Boston Scott gashed Arkansas State defense, and suddenly Jeff Driskel remembers how to play football?  At least I called the Over correctly.  Arkansas State 28 Louisiana Tech 47. (5-5)

So, after 5 bowls I'm sitting firmly at .500 and looking to stay either there or better. Picking the number has been a help, and calling the Cure Bowl correctly was a help as well.  (Take that Forde).  Which just goes to prove, when handicapping, it's not wise to exclude any of the games if you have a solid take on them. (Granted, that was the only game here that I had a solid take on anyway, but you get the point). Next year I'm changing up my analytics to include FPI and other metrics, but this bowl season is my one last shot at picking from my gut.

No comments:

Sports Section