Tuesday, October 17, 2017

College Football: Making Sense of the Week That Was (Or: Darn you Week 7)

For me, 'twas an ugly week.  I said last week in the lead-in to my FIVE that I had given some thought of taking the week off. I didn't LOVE any of the games I was picking and, to be honest, I didn't even LIKE most of them.  The results were telling.  I went 1-4 here and 1-1 for Bet the Rent which lowers my record for the season to a pretty disgusting 11-17-2 for the FIVE and 20-21-2 for all selections.

That's bad.

It's embarrassingly bad.

It's "What in the hell is going on around here?" bad.

But, I own this. I never claimed to be an "expert" nor do I sell my picks (thank goodness) nor do I advise you follow along.  I do this because I have fun doing it and it's a good release from my day job.  It also makes college football more fun, for me. Hopefully you, as a reader, enjoy it to.

I will say that "SU" is a figure that I don't track but I'm doing fairly well there. I can pick winners OK, just not winners at the betting window.

But enough with that.  Let's take a peek back.

Week 7 was a disaster for my top 10 as Clemson and Washington State lost on Friday, and then Auburn, Washington and San Diego State spit the bit on Saturday.  It was carnage all around. In addition to those teams Navy fell from the ranks of the unbeaten and Texas Tech was upset by West Virginia. It was one of those weeks where you just shrug your shoulders say "sure" and move on.

It's also why we love college football so much.  Because every team is flawed and every team can be beaten. Upsets like this happen. And while every tout in the world is going to tell you they "knew it was coming" that's crap, because no one knew that Syracuse over Clemson was coming and if you bet Syracuse it probably wasn't on the money line unless you are a fan of the Orange or were throwing up a Hail Mary bet.  That's why there are called "upsets" after all.

With that in mind, here's my updated "top 10" which is unremarkable in the fact that it's not too far away from the AP Top 10, with just a few changes.

1. Alabama. While I don't think the Tide are unbeatable I do think that the SEC is so down this year that they might finish the season undefeated.

2. Georgia. Have looked like the 2nd best team in the SEC and the win over Notre Dame is looking better and better as time passes.

3. Penn State. Their test starts this week.

4. TCU. Clearly the class of the Big XII. The OU matchup makes or breaks their season.

5. Wisconsin. A relatively easy schedule puts them in the catbird seat for the B1G title game.

6. Clemson.  Yes, the Syracuse loss hurt, but they still have a better resume than most.

7. Ohio State. Starting to get things ramped up now. Slotted just below Clemson because the Tigers have more quality wins.

8. Miami. Undefeated but it feels as if they're holding it together with spit and bailing wire.

9. Oklahoma State. The TCU loss is the only blemish on what is a fairly impressive resume.

10. University of Central Florida. Their matchup against USF could be the game of the week and probably deserves a Game Day visit.


Outside looking in:  Oklahoma, USF, USC, Notre Dame



Conference Rankings:

1. ACC
2. B1G
3. Big XII
4. SEC
5. American
6. Pac-12
7. MAC
8. Mountain West
9. Conference USA
10. SunBelt


There will be a FIVE landing tomorrow, but there might not be one for week 9 because of real-life obligations.


No comments:

Sports Section