Thursday, October 5, 2017

Las Vegas: My Issues as a Gambler post-massacre

Anyone who knows me understands that I'm not usually a navel-gazer. It's not in my nature to be entirely self-reflective. I do what I do, and tend to continue to move forward.  From time-to-time however things effect me and I've been known to bash out a post like this.

If you're used to my flippant tone, please forgive me this little indulgence.

Las Vegas Massacre: In Defense of Video Poker. Me, YDOP

I wrote this piece earlier tonight, for publishing on Thursday, right before this post is published, to defend a game that I love.  Video Poker.  I decided after that to write this piece before heading to bed because a couple of things hit me.

The profile of the Las Vegas shooter struck a nerve.

Accountant
Video Poker Player
Frequent Vegas Visitor
Plays for, and understands comps.
Often visited Las Vegas with his significant other.


If you've paid attention to my writings historically, that's me. Granted, at a much lower level (I play 25-cent video poker Paddock played $25 video poker) but he and I have a lot in common despite having, obviously, many differences.

But it still stings.  I wonder now, when I visit Vegas, if people will be looking at me because I'm a Caucasian male playing video poker.  Will they side-eye when I sit down and start touching screens and pressing buttons.  In short, I'm a little shaken and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Now, I have no plans to ever shoot anyone.  While I'm a supporter of the 2nd Amendment (All of the Bill of Rights actually) I only own 3 guns, two pistols and a shotgun, that I keep in my house. I don't have a concealed-carry permit and, to be honest, I'm not that enamored with firearms in the first place. I don't like shooting guns, I'm unimpressed, and don't follow, the gun-fetishists on Instagram etc. I don't hunt (although I did used to duck hunt a little) and I have no desire to. From that perspective Steve Paddock and I have nothing in common. 

I'm an accountant, but I work to live instead of living to work. I don't like the idea of a quiet accountant sitting in a corner staring at my Spreadsheet, although I've done that (It's the job) I really prefer to be teaching and interacting with people.  Even when I play video poker I'm known to talk to people, within reason.

And that's where I take solace.  Vegas for me is fun, not a job. It's a chance to get away with my wife at a place where we can let our hair down (well, she can, what's left of my hair doesn't go down anymore) and just generally forget our cares while chasing the elusive hand-pay or royal flush.  From that perspective, the shooter and I are polar opposites. I don't gamble at a level to receive many comps, he was given suites and meals and high-end bottles of alcohol.  Typically the wife opens a tab and pays for her drinks because she doesn't like to gamble.

This is the first time in my adult life that I've had anything, other than species, in common with a murderer and, to be honest, it's a fact that's really weighing on my mind.  But for the grace of God go we type stuff.

I've got a trip to Las Vegas coming up soon and I've never once considered canceling. The people that work there need not only a return to normalcy but to have tourists to pay their bills. The only way to get back to normal is.....to get back to normal.

My worry is that we've lost normal for good in Las Vegas because of how fractured society is these days.

In that case the shooter has ultimately won.  We cannot allow that to happen.

No comments:

Sports Section