Monday, October 22, 2018

Recapping the weekend that was. (The Week Eight FIVE and the Week Seven Three and OUT)

Into every life a little rain must fall.  Right now this betting SZN is my rain. It's not that I'm running bad overall, I'm just running bad on my FIVE and Three and OUT picks.  I'm running REALLY bad on my college football FIVE, despite having a decent record overall for the year in college football.

As a reminder, I don't play all of my FIVE picks, they're just picks. Some times the lines go wrong on game day or I find something else that moves into an area that I like. That's the problem with picking early, things aren't always available when I can finally get to a legal book.

That said, things are looking iffy for a winning FIVE result this year.

Let's see what happened:

1. Minnesota @ Nebraska (-4) [56]

Pick: Minnesota to COVER +4.5


Result: Minnesota 28 Nebraska 53

I was very surprised by this one. I thought that the Gophers would put up a fight at least against Nebraska but I was wrong. The Cornhuskers jumped on them early and scored often, grabbing Scott Frost's first win.  PJ Fleck seems to have lost this team.

2 & 3 Oregon @ Washington State (-3) [66]

Pick(s): Oregon to WIN on the ML and OVER 66.


Result: Oregon 20 Washington State 34

I had a lot riding on this game and missed all the way around. Oregon came out flat, surprisingly, and Wazzu just trucked 'em.  The Pac 12 is a mess this season and it's not looking like there's going to be clarity any time soon.

4. Ohio State (-13.5) @ Purdue [68]

Pick: Ohio State to COVER -13.5


Result: Ohio State 20 Purdue 49

This was less of an upset and more of a public mugging. Ohio State has real issues and they are all seemingly created by Urban Meyer. As a Michigan fan I can't say that I'm all torn up about this result, but it doesn't make me happy either. If you remember the wife is an Ohio State fan and this made for a sad, Saturday night.

5. Mississippi State @ LSU (-6.5) [45]

Pick: LSU to COVER -6.5


Result: Mississippi State 2 LSU 19

An ugly win is a win is a win and LSU kept me from being blanked. The Tigers are pretty good, we'll learn just how good in a couple of weeks when they take on the one team we KNOW is good: Alabama.

Total for the week 1-4  Season 16-23-1 (.400) Admittedly not where we want to be.


NFL Three and OUT

Unlike college I'm doing marginally better on the season for the pros, but I'm still lagging behind where I want to be.  And Sunday was a dog of a day to boot. Fortunately, I spent the day away from the TV running errands and spending time consoling the wife so I didn't have to sit and watch the disaster unfold.

On to the games:

1. Tennessee @ LA Chargers (-6.5) [45]

Pick: LA Chargers to COVER -6.5


Result: Tennessee 19 LA Chargers 20

So, the Titans scored a TD at the end and only lost because they went for two.  But that time expiring TD killed the cover on this one and well, that's just the way things go sometimes.  Good pick, bad result.

2. Minnesota (-3) @ NY Jets [47]

Pick: Minnesota to COVER -3


Result: Minnesota 37 NY Jets 17

The Vikings were just too good. To me this wasn't a hard game to predict, but there was a LOT of sharp money on the Jets which deflated the line to our benefit.

3. Houston @ Jacksonville (-4.5) [42.5]

Pick: Jacksonville to COVER -4.5


Result: Houston 20 Jacksonville 7

My pattern of fading the Texans didn't pay off this week, so I might put that to bed for a week or three given that their schedule coming up is awful. Then again I MIGHT decide to play them on this Thursday game against Miami depending on the line.

Weekly Result: 1-2  Season 10-11 (.476)


On to the next weekend then.....

No comments:

Sports Section