Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Letter from the Ed: Look upon my works ye mighty and despair.

 Social Media: It's not me, it's you.

For some time now I've been considering ending all of my social media accounts. I never check Facebook, I've only posted about 3 things on Instagram, and Twitter is becoming more and more of a fetid cesspool each and every day.

Today, I scheduled my Facebook account for full deletion, and on January 1, 2020 I plan to unfollow/block a ton of people, lock my account down, and only use it as a news aggregator rather than for social interaction.  I'll keep a few acquaintances and people whom I've met in real life around but, for the most part, I'm calling it quits.

I'm also recording the last episode of "The Public Money" podcast today. For one, it's impossible for me to find time to do it unless I'm in my car and, for two, me being in my car makes the quality not what I want it to be.

The final reason for all of this is simple:  I never got in this to monetize and make money, but suddenly I've been surrounded by a ton of people who only want to do those things.

Social media is a trap. It warps your world and sucks you into things that have no basis in reality. It makes you angrier, and more offended, than you should be, and it 100% can ruin a day. Rarely does it add enough good in one's life to offset the bad that it injects into your veins.

I'm also shuttering this blog. as a matter of fact, I'm putting an end to my blogging career after 17 years.

2020 is going to be a new year for me and I'm excited about it. It's going to be a year involved in the real world, doing charity work, working on me, and working with my loved ones.

I cannot wait.


As the old AOL script used to say: "Goodbye"

Sports Section