I just got back from a quick trip to Toronto, and here are some thoughts on my (too quick) trip to the City.....
1. Toronto in the Summer is brilliant.
2. Poutine is the Canadian version of Buc-ees Beaver Nuggets. Crack cocaine in food form.
3. Canada has taken a lot of the good stuff from Europe (sensible public transit, a walkable City Centre) and mixed it up with a lot of the BAD stuff from America (ignoring infrastructure needs -especially their roadways, which suck and are always full of traffic) and nanny-stateism. (Their alcohol retail sales system makes Texas' look sane in comparison).
4. The high-rise apartments in Toronto all look like they were built in the 50's and 60's.....by the Russians.
5. Bilingual is their "multi-culturalism". It's being pushed by people who have no clue and for reasons that make no sense. It's also a one-way (pro-French in their case) street.
6. On a Summer evening, you can stroll along the Waterfront in Toronto. In Houston you can fry an egg on the sidewalk next to Buffalo Bayou.
7. In the Winter, Torontans don't walk around much. They tend to use a tunnel system or (when possible) drive cars. If not possible they stay home and eat Poutine (see #2)
8. Due to years of road maintenance neglect, Toronto's traffic is terrible. (Also, left turn arrows folks, look into them eh?)
(Points six, seven and eight are proof of case Houston Tomorrow's vision for "future Houston" is complete and utter bollocks.)
9. Two words: Good beer.
10. Point ten has been ceded to Torontans due to the terrible ass exchange rate you're currently seeing. The US $ is 90% of the Canadian dollar. I'll will say the Loonie is pretty cool however.
And yes, I do want to go back.